11/04/2014

Written Sept. 2.  My Facebook update:

Today the heaviest burden was lifted. It was super surreal packing up Abe's things, saying goodbye, and taking him away. The tears just wouldn't stop as we drove. 2 1/2 years of being afraid about this day, wondering if I had what it took to actually do this, fearing last winter that we may not even be allowed to adopt him at all, and then that long wait for no reason when it felt like the Devilhimself was standing in our way. I've cried so many tears over this boy and today all those fears and questions simply lost their grip.

Here is what I have learned: I am the lucky one. This great God of mine has walked us straight into the adventure of a lifetime. I've never seen God move in literal miracle after miracle like I've seen in the past 2 1/2 years. I could fill a book with the stories. Then getting to come here. Ethiopia. This place and these people. My gosh, I could've missed this!! This journey WAS about adoption, but by God's great grace somehow it's turned into so much more! We've found ourselves in the midst of people's stories. Deeper relationships. Somehow, we have been placed here at this exact time in history and our paths have crossed, and we are all better off because of each other!

After we drove away today Abe was still and quiet for a long time. I wish I could've read his thoughts. I kept thinking, "I'm so sorry sweetie, I know you're scared. But believe me, this is going to be good for you." Then, as our day progressed, my boy simply came alive! Like us he couldn't have known what he was getting into, but with every fresh experience he's seeing, tasting, and feeling new things! I've never seen him this happy. He too is learning that life's so much more than being confined to a familiar and comfortable space.

I could never have known when we first began all the bumps and emotions we'd face. But what I do know right now, with him sleeping peacefully beside me, is that every time we felt scared or didn't think we had any more to give, but we kept walking forward anyways...was completely worth it! I'm so thankful God busted ME out...because this...this feels like really living.


No comments: